How to make AFOLs happy

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Stephen
Laborer

How to make AFOLs happy

Post by Stephen »

Dear LEGO,
You may have noticed some complaining around here lately.

I know that you’re opening new markets and trying to appeal to a newer generation of builders, so I’m willing to concede that the new Knight’s Kingdom 2 sets are a good idea from your point of view.

However –

Many of us AFOLs began our castle collections back in the 80s and early 90s. Back then, every year gave us the opportunity to expand our collections. The walls, towers, turrets, doors, and colors were pretty much the same from year to year. We could buy any castle set and add it to our collection to make bigger and better castles.

Since the introduction of the Fright Knights theme in 1997 you have been introducing new color schemes and new parts with each new line. The new sets just don’t fit into our collections as easily as they did before. This might be a good way to reach new builders, but it’s disappointing to the AFOLs.

If you gave us the parts we need to expand our collections, it would really make us happy without having to change your marketing strategy. Shop@Home has been a great resource for basic bricks. How about giving us more Castle theme parts packs the way you do for Technic, Town, and Train?

Here are some ideas:
(Note, some of these ideas have been mentioned in the forums and chat rooms, I don’t claim that these are all mine.)

1. Keep the Castle Accessory sets coming! They’re great for converting minifigs from other themes.
2. Bring back the Horse and Saddles sets you had a few years ago.
3. Packs of walls, tower pieces, and turrets in black and greys
4. Packs of Castle doors and windows with lattice inserts and round tops
5. Packs of wagon wheels, axle plates, and horse hitchings
6. Castle theme minifig sets - every collector needs to expand his collection of foot soldiers and civilians.
7. Or, how about some generic minifigs, with classic smiling faces, a variety of colors, hair pieces and no printing on the torsos. Those could be used with the accessory packs to expand any theme.

How about a Classic Castle Designer set with lots black and grey bricks, walls, towers, turrets, windows, doors, etc?

Finally, the Legends have been great for parts. (Every single piece in the Black Falcon’s Fortress fit into my collection and I bought more of them than of any other set, ever.) But I know that collectors frown on them because they lower the value of the originals.

How about giving us a “Version 2” of some of the classic sets? You could change them around a little to make them unique. For example – The Classic Yellow Castle in grey, or the Armor Shop (6041) with black walls and a blue roof, or Majesto’s Tower (1906) with grey walls and no BURPs. As long as you’re using the classic color scheme, I would buy lots of them.

I’m sure that the other AFOLs around here have some ideas too.

Respectfully
Stephen
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Ok - So who's the man?

That's right - Stephen's the man!

That guy right there.

Everything he said. Lego company - LOOK - Read that post. Right there. That's the one.

uh huh - he's the man all right.

boo yah

freak
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I agree whole-heartedly with you. However I will respond by quoting the freak as I agree too.

"Everything he said. Lego company - LOOK - Read that post. Right there. That's the one.

uh huh - he's the man all right.

boo yah "

that is what we need. Enough catering to the younger kids. I mean weren't AFOLs kids once? They had realistic sets than. Why are kids today different.

My guess is because of POKEMON :evil:

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hello...? Mr. Danish-LEGO-man, sir?

I hope you listen to my fellow LEGO-fans above and that you take their advise on how to appeal to ALL the fans of this amazing little
pice-o-plastic.

WE NEED CASTLE!!

Best wishes :D

[/b][/i]
I'm back, and so is Castle!
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

You are so true Stephen. I totally agree.
What we need is not impossible task for TLC.

All we need is simple things.

All your ideas, resume what Lego could make to make me happy.
Todd
Freeman

Post by Todd »

Yep, see the above comments...
Don't make me angry... I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

I'm no AFOL, but that sound really good. Need I say more?
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

And it isn't on the AFOLs, it's the kids too. Every single person I have talked to about LEGO has mentioned that the new stuff utterly sucks - and how cool it was before.

Believe it or not, a little complexity in sets goes a long way.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I wish LEGO would hire someone to read every post on this site and get the message: WE WANT BETTER CASTLE SETS!!!!! LEGO read this thread, PLEASE!
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I agree. Besides, will these children of today who grow up a decade and a half from now still have interest in your products if you, Lego, keep on manufacturing young kids focused toys? I doubt it!
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]