Non-permanent / washable glue with LEGO?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
puddleglum
Artisan

Non-permanent / washable glue with LEGO?

Post by puddleglum »

Does anyone have any experience with a glue, tape, or otherwise sticky substance that could be used to temporarily keep non-attached LEGO together, and removes/washes relatively easily? For example, if you built a scene with tiled floor and furniture, and you wanted something that was just strong enough to keep the furniture from moving around if you picked up the MOC, but still easy to detach and wash off later? In this case exposing some studs in the floor is not an option. I have a feeling that a washable gluestick would work fine, and not damage the LEGO, but I’m hoping someone has already tried something like this and can let me know how it went. My efforts to search the ‘net for such knowledge proved fruitless – I could only find threads with silly parents asking about gluing their kid’s LEGO sets together so they won’t come apart, and LEGO zealots rightly excoriating them for such blasphemy. :P

Thanks!
Last edited by puddleglum on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: Non-permanent / washable glue with LEGO?

Post by plums_deify »

Elmer's glue is great for that, actually. It's water soluable, so it washes off easily afterwards. I've used it to attach paper banners in some of my earlier MOCs.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

Good to know, thanks! :)
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

mrkovach
Apprentice

Post by mrkovach »

I have no experience with glue, but I am sure that plums has answered your question.
By the way, the only time I used glue on LEGO was when I was seven, and I tried Superglue and a Toothpick.Bad idea :oops:
^You should be more concerned with what's written above^
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

I think a cold glue would work as well, if not slathered on too much. I've had some spill on my lego before (because I am sloppy and have way too many hobbys on my tables) and it's usually popped right off.

Elmers is ok, again as long as you don't put buckets on it... What about putting a jumper brick in there to just attach the furniture onto? you knw, a hidden stud sort of thing?
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Elmers is probably your best answer as long as things secured by it aren't too weighty. Jumper bricks or hidden stud connectors was also a great suggestion (esp. for larger furniture). My M-Tron contact is telling me magnets are your answer, but he's been under duress.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

Just to clarify why jumper bricks, hidden studs, etc, were not an option - I've got chairs using 1x1 cones for legs that are studs-down, and a tiled table with items on it that are studs-down as well. I posted the MOC a few weeks ago here. I guess I should have just mentioned that to start with, sorry! :)

Anyways, judiciously-applied elmer's glue it is.

LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

ah, well then that brings up an interesting question. I am wracking my brain for a non glue - lego way to do this. :D
however, no idea I have has that nice smoothly tiled floor. Even if you were to use a jumper brick, or a one by one thats hollow topped and use say a lego screwdriver as a pin, it still wouldnt be flush.

This bears some pondering from the purists I'd say...

('course, I'm no purist.. glue the sucker!) :roflol:
The Brick Rat
Laborer

Post by The Brick Rat »

I'd recommend Removable Glue Dots. They are 1/2 inch double-sided adhesive dots that you peel off a sheet and apply where needed. There's no drying time, no mess, no residue when removed and they are repositionable. I've bought them at Office Depot ($1.99 for a pack of 60 dots), but the Glue Dots website also says they are available at Office Max and Rite Aid. The website is http://www.gluedots.com.