Suggestion for new category for CCC IV: Castle Movie

Discussion of general LEGO topics
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Suggestion for new category for CCC IV: Castle Movie

Post by R_The_Falcon »

Hello, since CCC III seems to be the talk of the medivel town, I would like to suggest CCC IV having a Castle Movie Category. Lego movies are becoming more and more popular, and having a category specifically about them should popularize castle movies. Who doesn't want a movie involving our favorite castle themes? A contest with a reward would encourage other Lego movie makers to make movies with castles and such. While www.brickfilms.com does have an annual contest, it usually involves every theme, not castle. I could spread the word about it at the Brickfilm's forums, which could intern get some high quality people making films. I have some ideas myself, but not enough pieces to match. :oops:

Overall, I think this category would: (1) Generate more Lego Castle movies, (2) get Lego movie makers to recognize the Lego Castle Community and maybe make some new castle movies, (3) maybe get a few good members out of the deal along with mocs, (4) everyone would enjoy seeing their favorite castle themes in a good movie.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I'm not entirely sure I like this idea, and I'll tell you why:

The entire backbone of the Colossal Castle Contest is that just about anyone can enter just about any category. By adding a movie category, we are limiting those who can enter to not only those interested in making movies, but also to those actually capable of making them. The LEGO camera alone was $200.

On top of that, the categories for the CCC have historically also been centered around which prizes we could get our greedy little hands on, which is why we don't predict which categories that will be in the contest until a month or two before our announcement.

Of course, other admins will need to add their two cents, for I can only speak for myself.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I can only speak as a member but I think I agree with Sava. (What? Maedhros actually agrees with an admin...? There´s something in the air...)

But I still think this could be fun, not as a category in the CCC but as a contest on its own. We would all like to see more Castley Brickfilms after all ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Maedhros wrote:But I still think this could be fun, not as a category in the CCC but as a contest on its own. We would all like to see more Castley Brickfilms after all ;)
I totally agree. I don't this should be a category in the CCC, but would love to see it be a contest in its own right. There just aren't that many people who are willing (or able) to take the time to make movies, myself incuded. But I do enjoy the ones that others make...

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Brick Man
Villein

Post by Brick Man »

SavaTheAggie wrote:I'm not entirely sure I like this idea, and I'll tell you why:

By adding a movie category, we are limiting those who can enter to not only those interested in making movies, but also to those actually capable of making them. The LEGO camera alone was $200.
Ok, I have to correct you a little bit. :)
The LEGO camera is a piece of junk,
and there are very very few that still use it,
the camera alonE was only about $45 U.S.
dollars, but the big 'Studio with Camera movie making set(wich was also very bad) was about $200.
However, all the Lego Camera is, is a simple little Logitech Quickcam Express, wich you can get at Wal-mart or just about any other store for only about $20-$30.
But many people use other cameras for there brickfilms, there are hundreds of different kinds of webcams out there, all the way and all the way down,($10-$200+!)
But of course, you don't even have to use a webcam, some people use camcorder's and other people use Digital cameras, and it seems like just about every one has a digital camerea these days. Heck, one of the brickfilms ever made was made using a digital camera.
So really, there are many options for one that want to make a brickfilm. and even if you do not own a Webcam, Digital camera or Camcorder you most likely know some one that would be willing to let you use it for a week or two.
I do agree with all the other stuff you said,Sava,
but as others have suggested, maybe just a little contest on it's own.
And I would be more than happy to help organize it, and help people out with Movie editing, compression and any thing esle that they would need help with.

-Brick Man
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

"The entire backbone of the Colossal Castle Contest is that just about anyone can enter just about any category. By adding a movie category, we are limiting those who can enter to not only those interested in making movies, but also to those actually capable of making them. The LEGO camera alone was $200.

On top of that, the categories for the CCC have historically also been centered around which prizes we could get our greedy little hands on, which is why we don't predict which categories that will be in the contest until a month or two before our announcement."

I really like how almost anyone can enter any category in CCC, and I think this one would be the same way. All you need for a Lego movie is a good camera, and judging by the pictures in CCC III, everyone seems to have access to one. You also don't even need a camera, you can just use a video camera, though it will be harder. As for programs to edit the movie and such, there are plenty of free programs available like Monkey Jam. www.brickfilms.com also has a plethora of tips and guides to help you in just about everything you need when making a brickfilm. So, I do think the average Lego builder could participate.

The idea of having it in a seperate contest is a pretty good one, as Lego movies do take much more time then building a moc. My only concern is that it wouldn't get enough publicity as the CCC does. CCC is a big thing around here, with lots of people participating (including myself.) But then again, I guess you admins could take care of that. :wink:

And I've also heard really bad things about the Lego camera, so I would heavily not recommend getting it.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

There will be a castle movie contest for BrickFest 2006 with prizes. It is currently in the planning stages. Likely you can make a film or build scenes from your favorite hollywood castle movie (Adventures of Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, Holy Grail, etc) If you have any suggestions please post them or send me a PM.

Ben Ellermann
BrickFest 2006 Castle Room Coordinator
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

R_The_Falcon wrote:... than building a moc...
Inadvertantly, you've captured in these four words the main reason why I would not want a Movie contest -EDIT: as a part of the CCC-: it's not so much about the building as about the movie skills and storytelling.

And, in my humble opinion of course, the CCC is about LEGO building skills, first and foremost.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Whilst I agree with the other guys - it wouldn't really work as a CCC category - I'd love a separate contest for movie-making alone. It'd be very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Matt
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swordfish
Peasant

Post by swordfish »

I would also find a castle movie contest cool. It wouldn't have to be part 0f CCC.
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

There will be a castle movie contest for BrickFest 2006 with prizes. It is currently in the planning stages. Likely you can make a film or build scenes from your favorite hollywood castle movie (Adventures of Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, Holy Grail, etc) If you have any suggestions please post them or send me a PM.

Ben Ellermann
BrickFest 2006 Castle Room Coordinator

Well it appears my idea has already been taken. Yeah, a movie contest would not fit in CCC, though I couldn't think of a better place, therefore, I suggested my idea. Architect, do you have the rules for this contest? Also, I think people should be trying to create their own stories, not copying Sword in the Stone, and Holy Grail. Of course Robin Hood would be fine because it is part of a Lego theme. :lol:
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey,

My concern with a movie category is not so much that it cuts down on the number of people that can enter. That always happens - for instance, those with smaller collections couldn't realistically enter the Castle category in CCC3, and everyone needed at least a reasonable camera to photograph their MOCs. However, a movie contest would cut down on the number of people who could see the entries. There seems to be no universally accepted format for films, and half the time I can't see them, because I don't have the proper version of the software installed, or because I'm a Mac guy, or whatever. Someplace like a fest you can actually play the films for an audience, so it's not dependant on everyone having the exact right system or software.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

R_The_Falcon wrote: Well it appears my idea has already been taken. Yeah, a movie contest would not fit in CCC, though I couldn't think of a better place, therefore, I suggested my idea. Architect, do you have the rules for this contest? Also, I think people should be trying to create their own stories, not copying Sword in the Stone, and Holy Grail. Of course Robin Hood would be fine because it is part of a Lego theme. :lol:
The contest should tie into this year's BrickFest theme: Hollywood. Of course anyone can make a medieval movie of their own. BrickFest will have many moc's in different themes based on movies. So things like Lenny's "Princess Bride" vignettes would be perfect. Movies with the same stories or the same characters in new adventures would be great.

Basically we are in the very early planning stages of Fest. I am sure any movie related things will have to be coordinated with the BrickFilms people. Please post any suggestions.

Ben