Roman Temple

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Roman Temple

Post by DNL »

A couple of weeks ago i realised that there are very few roman MOCs, so i decided to make this little temple:

More pictures

(This isn't really castle, but it's quite close to castle, so i guess this would fit in the castle MOC forum.)
CheeseBrick
Serf

Post by CheeseBrick »

Wow! I love this, so many details! I really like the nifty uses of pieces, such as the handcuffs above the entrance. The brick-built legs really work in this MOC, and the chariot is just awesome. In fact, awesome just about sums up this MOC! Great work!

-CheeseBrick
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

Awesome creation! The temple is ingeniously designed, and the landscaping is excellent. A nice way to make a tree, too!
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
draugaer
Apprentice

Post by draugaer »

nicely done, great details, a very cool build over-all

Though, I have to say this looks much more like a roman mausoleum than a temple.
Mausoleums took a pretty wide range of architectual forms where as temples followed a pretty standard design; they generally looked like greek temples, except that free standing columns were located on the porch only (with engaged columns around the rest of the building). Later, in the christian era the basilican plan was adopted.

Still thats really just a complaint about the name, the moc itself is excellent :D
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Gotta' love roman MOCs!

You packed a lot of awesome detail into this one. Particularly all the stuff at the top of the building, and the sculptures.
I also really enjoyed the flowers you made with the lever pieces. That is the first time I have seen that done.

Also, as mentioned, I like how you did the guards.

All around, an excellent build! :)

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
mrkovach
Apprentice

Post by mrkovach »

I do enjoy Roman architecture and wish that there could be more Romanesque buildings here on CC. Is CC appropriate for Romans though?
Could we get a reply with clarification from architect or bruce n h? :roll:
^You should be more concerned with what's written above^
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

mrkovach wrote:I do enjoy Roman architecture and wish that there could be more Romanesque buildings here on CC. Is CC appropriate for Romans though?
Could we get a reply with clarification from architect or bruce n h? :roll:
In the future, please contact a moderator or admin via pm when you have a question about where a moc should be posted in the forums. Check out the CC Terms of Service: http://www.classic-castle.com/tos.html where it states that only mods and admins make these decisions. Thanks.

As a general rule, we allow mocs in the "Castle MOCs" forum from the Fall of Rome to the Burning of London in 1666. So most mocs with Lego firearms and cannon should be posted in the "General Lego" forum.

This building type is a small temple. Many of these smaller Roman buildings were used in Medieval times and survive today. So we will allow discussion to remain in this forum. If you have any other questions, please direct them to me by private message.

On topic:

The temple has many nice details including the handcuffs, statuary, and cornice. I do wonder if the spire is a Roman detail or something that would have been added to a converted Church in middle ages.
Ben
Hound Knight
Artiste De Sigifigs

Post by Hound Knight »

This is great! I really like how you added so much detail to it. :)
"I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift."
Sir Ninja Pilot
Villein

Post by Sir Ninja Pilot »

The way you built the trees is just awsome, and like others have said, the way you used the handcuffs is a neat idea too.

,SNP
Call me Ninja Pilot, that's Sir Ninja Pilot to you!!!
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... inja-Pilot
jdigiovanna
Serf

Post by jdigiovanna »

This is an awsome moc, and being half Italian I have a soft spot for the romans and their accomplishments. The temple is beautiful and I love the sort of a Roman law feel that the handcuffs give off. The surroundings are just plain awsome but I am probably about the only one here who honestly just isn't feeling the gaurds. Might I suggest the shadowknight helm on the red viking chieftain torso. Also one last legionary nitpick is that the romans (except on the northern frontier) usually went sleeveless. I don't mean to spend so much of my post on the gaurds its just a force of habit but honestly its a magnificent MOC and I just may have to steal the boots/short legs thing in the future,

Jameson.
"Come home with this sheild or upon it."-A Spartan woman equips her son
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: Roman Temple

Post by Maedhros »

DNL wrote:A couple of weeks ago i realised that there are very few roman MOCs, so i decided to make this little temple:
And you remedied that lack of Roman MOCs wonderfully. Spending hours and hours a day deciphering Cicero and Vergilius I really have to say finding Ancient Rome coming alive in my favourite medium is fantastically refreshing.

Praeterea censeo plures Romanas Constructiones Meas Ipsius struendas esse ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

Thanks for the comments everybody :)
This is an awsome moc, and being half Italian I have a soft spot for the romans and their accomplishments. The temple is beautiful and I love the sort of a Roman law feel that the handcuffs give off. The surroundings are just plain awsome but I am probably about the only one here who honestly just isn't feeling the gaurds. Might I suggest the shadowknight helm on the red viking chieftain torso. Also one last legionary nitpick is that the romans (except on the northern frontier) usually went sleeveless. I don't mean to spend so much of my post on the gaurds its just a force of habit but honestly its a magnificent MOC and I just may have to steal the boots/short legs thing in the future,

Jameson.
I don't really know much about roman soldiers :wink:
I did consider using shadow knight helmets, but i thought these looked more like legionare helmets.
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

DNL wrote: I don't really know much about roman soldiers :wink:
I did consider using shadow knight helmets, but i thought these looked more like legionare helmets.
Well The legionares were the soldiers of Rome Please see this link: Link.

CastleLord.

Oh and this is a Great moc!
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]