Weekly Set Review: Armor Shop

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Armor Shop

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6041 Armor Shop.

Armor Shop, released in 1986, is a castle wall section with a shop on the inside. It has a shopkeeper, a weapons rack, a knight and his horse, helmets, weapons, and shields. Armor Shop also has two of the most sought after castle pieces. The famous “Black Sword” and the red King’s flag can only be found in this set.

Last edited by architect on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Post by adm_matthew »

I wish I had this Set. The Sword is cool, but I don't understand what all the fuss is about it.. I really wish I had the flag, but they are really expensive. Overall I give this set a 8/10. it would be 10/10 if I had one ;)
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

This was one of a series of castle sets that made the castle line great. As a set, it was small, inexpensive and featured one of the few non-combatant figs in the line. Featuring the Crusader Flag and the black sword(very nice item to have), the set also had a plethora of weapons. This is my favorite small set from that era and my vote for the next Castle Legend Re-issue. Even if the sword will be made with the new sword mold. I give this set a 10/10. I wish I had more of it. As it is, I still have one I keep as a display piece.
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This is a legendary set. It was my favorite midsize set as a child. It has great accessories. I always liked the weapons rack, even if it would fall over and the helmets scatter across the room :?

A great set!

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

That's a nice little set, grey but still colourful. Though I didn't like the red roof as a child: It simply didn't match the black roofs of 6074 Black Falcons Fortress and 6067 Guarded Inn...

For some reason the knight has been my favourite minifig awhile. And the longhaired servant was also cool being a kind of civil person in this military castle world. Also the building itself made a good non-military addition to a town.

Ben, you are right: The helmets hardly remain steady on their goblets :-) Besides this the red and blue goblets are still precious. Ah, there are so many cool pieces in this set... and I even avoid to mention this black sword... Darn, I did it!

Bye
Jojo

rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

For less than $10, you got two minifigs, a castle wall section, a horse, and plenty of equipment.

Yeah, buying this was definitely one of my better ideas. I'm glad I have it. If I wasn't so poor when I was younger, I would have bought multiples of this.

By the way, what is the deal with the flimsy plastic they use on the swords they make lately?

The old ones were much nicer.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

This is another fantastic set like 6067 and 6074. Should be rerelease as a legend (with 6040) like another said, I don't remember where.

I wasn't sure too, when i saw the red roof the first time, but now I appreciate it. All roof can't be the same color !

This set has the unique black sword ! Wow.

An it included a civilian. Lego should remember that they made fantastic things like that, when they will make new sets !

9/10
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Re: Weekly Set Review: Armor Shop

Post by JoshWedin »

My favorite set from the "golden era." One of the few somewhat civilian sets. Well, not exactly civilian, but it is a shop. I have two of them and would love more! But then I have a thing for the unmentionable famous piece in this set. :D

Josh
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

This set was released before I was born, so unfortunaty, I never owned it :cry: From the looks of it, it looks very nice. Take 2 or three of them and a nice, small house could be made. This set is also a good army builder and would help to make many soldiers in your army, and equip them with the weapons and shields you want them to have. It should have included a few armor torsos, since it is "Armor shop!" But overall it is very nice.

However I doubt lego would release such a small set as a legend, but who knows. Maybe something simiar in the next castle line.

Bye,

Dragon Master
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Sadly enough, I am yet another unfortunate who does not have the privilage of enjoying such a nice set. However, by looking at it, it has all the elements of a very good set. It has a fair range of weaponry including a certian rare piece :wink:, and has two minifigs which is pretty good for an item of this size.

All in all, this is a very good set. Despite this, it just falls *this* short of being an item to be cherished as the guarded inn is. I don't know why, but it just feels that way.

If I had to rate it it would be a 9/10
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

"This set was released before I was born." Now I feel old. I was going to say this was released long after I'd entered my dark ages, so I didn't get it. Awesome set, especially if combined with 6040, Blacksmith Shop. I love the idea of the modular castle. I hope TLC releases another line such as this that all fits together.

Bruce
Javier Teulon
Gong Farmer

Post by Javier Teulon »

I got it in 1986 when my father went to France. Four years ago I had to buy the black sword.

It has the most original King's Knight, and the squire is one of my favourites.
Regards,

Javier Teulon
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Bruce N H wrote:"This set was released before I was born." Now I feel old. I was going to say this was released long after I'd entered my dark ages, so I didn't get it.
Hehe! It's peculiar... For me it just feels natural to own this set. I was lucky enough to be at the right age when all those classic Castle sets have been available. (Never had previously released sets 375, 383 and 677 though.)
I still remember how I bought this (6041) with my own money once in 1986 on a bright summer day....

Bye
Jojo

Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

6041 is a special set for me, because it is the first one I remember playing with. I got it for a birthday one year (i think I was six or seven) when spending time with my grand mother (who is now passed).

I loved this set intensely, and I have always been a fan of the civilian castle sets (hence why most of what I do is civilian). Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to the special pieces, the black sword and red and blue goblets. but still - this is what LEGO castle could and should be.

10++/10

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

I can remember the day I bought this set. It was one of those big Lego trips my brother and I took to a big toy store near us. It was nice living in a place where you could walk everywhere and not have to rely on the 'rents giving you a ride.

I purchased the Armor shop along with the Siege Cart and a castle mini figs set this day. This was alot for an 8 year old at the time. :) My brother most likely bought a plethora of Town sets.

This was my favorite thing to do as a child....head to TRU or another toy store and buy a couple of sets (preferably a real large one, a medium size, and a few small) and enjoy building them for a few hours. There is no relaxation methods that can compete with building Lego all day long.

The Armor Shop was a hit. I actually liked the red roof pieces because IT WAS different from the BLack Falcones Fortress and Tavern.

And I agree with my comrades....those Megablocks helmets kept falling all over the place. LOL...I remember buying this set and wondering why a female would be selling armor/weapons. Silly me....my brother had to tell me about medieval styles - and that it was a guy. :D

-Rich