please:-)

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
erikut
Steward

please:-)

Post by erikut »

this will probbly dont work but i say it anyway:

I WANT TO BE A ADMIN, yeah whatever but what do i have to do to gain the great title CC.Admin i just wanna know. im 15 has written soon 100 posts and have my own lego castle site. im regular on the site and sometimes on the chat. i make loads of mocs and know some people here. is that enough. if this really works i guess a bunch of other people will try as well but anyway. if i become a admin i will thank you for the rest of my life...

from the left handed wannabe admin: Erik :D
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Re: please:-)

Post by Glencaer »

erikut wrote:this will probbly dont work but i say it anyway:

I WANT TO BE A ADMIN, yeah whatever but what do i have to do to gain the great title CC.Admin i just wanna know. im 15 has written soon 100 posts and have my own lego castle site. im regular on the site and sometimes on the chat. i make loads of mocs and know some people here. is that enough. if this really works i guess a bunch of other people will try as well but anyway. if i become a admin i will thank you for the rest of my life...
Unfortunately, no.

Being an Admin means wanting and being able to do work.

What skills do you have? How is your knowledge of html? Other web codes? What unique role do you think you can fill?

The key is that being an Admin isn't about having a nifty title - it is about being a responsible leader within the community and filling a needed role here at Classic-Castle.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

i can do that

i have taken a small html course ower the net
and i am responsible
but i could fix my english

you could make a minifig forum where peole could post their moc minifigs
i could be a adnin there
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Eagerness to do the job should not be enough, we have quite a few guys who would love to be an admin, but the question is where would we fit, do we really need another admin? Etc... Etc...

An admin's qualifications should also mean more than how much they post, if it was based on posts, myself and Formendacil are probably the most prolific posters so does that mean we should be admins? Nah probably not, perhaps moderators, but then again we are not very moderate. :lol:

Enthusiasm is all well and good, but the question you need to ask yourself is how valuable a contribution you could make if you were an admin and then find a way to prove you have something valuable and unique to contribute that would make the current admins want to add you to their numbers. The ones we have worked rather hard to get the positions they have.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Lenny wrote:The key is that being an Admin isn't about having a nifty title - it is about being a responsible leader within the community and filling a needed role here at Classic-Castle.
I agree with Lenny on this. You arent the first and wont be the last person who wants to be an admin. I am not ruling out any cc member of one day becoming an admin. However, each admin has a specific large role in maintaining Classic-Castle.com

All current CC admins, except Nathan, helped found the site. We planned, worked, and coded for several months before the site opened. Each admin has a specific role tailored to their talents and a castle community need.

For example, I am the sets admin. This means that I am responsible for creating a sets archive, weekly set reviews, set articles, trying to get preview pictures, etc, etc. So an admin moderates the forum, chat, maintains their area on the site, and creates alot of articles which makes CC interesting.

Future admin spots are created when their is a need. For example, Nathan Wells along with several other cc members, helped start and maintain the CC roleplay. As some of the original gaming admins decided this wasnt the time for them to be involved, Nathan worked hard on his own. This great involvement and time commitment were two of several reasons why we chose him to be a gaming admin.

My suggestion to you would be to become involved. Write an article with another CC member. Contact an admin and we can put things like this on the main page. People who are highly involved definitely get more consideration for an admin possition if and when an opening or new need occurs.

Being an admin is about responsibility to the community and not about having a title or position.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

And regardless of what you may have heard it doesnt mean you get to kick me around. :D

well.. ok it does.

LF
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

LEGOFREAK wrote:And regardless of what you may have heard it doesnt mean you get to kick me around. :D
well.. ok it does.
LF
Oooo... oooo... now I wanna be an admin too.... please... please... :wink:

Not.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

If being an Admin did depend on post counts, imagine how much inappropiate posts would be done. It would be a big problem.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

We don't need more admins.

The ones we have are doing an awesome job.

If we did, we'd only need like one. Maybe two.

The pre-existing admins would pick the new ones. Probably without input.

Post-proliferancy probably wouldn't be key. (Thank heaven!)

I wouldN'T want to be one. Not unless ALL the admins wanted it, and if they talked REALLY hard. Quite simply, its a lot of work, and I'm enjoying this site plenty as an ordinary bum.

Although getting to kick Freak around does have its fun. :D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

You guys get to kick around the freak! Now, I want to be an Admin! :wink:

Just kidding, but seriously unless someone decides to leave I don't really think we need a new admin. Less is more, but have you considered perhaps a few moderators like they have at FBTB. That might shut down a few of the silly posts about sending flowers in Russia before I makesome funny comments that end up being deleted. :lol:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

I agree with Will.

We have enough admins, but having mods (not that I want to be one, unless mods have some power over Freak...) might be benificial. It would take a lot of work off the shoulders of the admins, which would give them time to make more articles, or help the site in some other way be even greater than it already is!

--Caleb
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

I'll echo that mods would be a good thing. As long as they're well-picked. Personally, I don't think a whole lot of the picking of a couple of the FBTB mods, and think that there are people much more suited to it there.

As for admins - We definately don't need another one right now, but if there was an idea for a new section to the site, I think it would be reasonable and a good idea. (Such as happened with gaming.)

I really don't see why anyone would ask to be admin if they were thinking about it reasonably. I've been admin at several sites (Although not nearly as large or well-respected as C-C) and I must say, it isn't anything too special. Of course, if I was asked I would accept and do my best, but it isn't something that I would specifically try to gain.

Mmm...power over Freak? Mmm...well if no one had power over him that might be...hmmm...freaky? :) Hehe, excuse really lame jokes.
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

Moderators can take a lot of the workload off administrators when it comes to day-to-day problems. You don`t need to be quite so up to speed on the technology but more around a lot and be respected and trusted enough to appy the board guidelines fairly without starting a lot of arguements. I`m a moderator on another Board and we had terrible troubles with a new mod who came on and started to throw their weight around and try to impose what they thought we all should be doing on us, rather than ...well...be moderate? Be a calming influence? Keep the place tidy?

Frankly I think anyone who WANTS to be a moderator is the wrong sort of person to be one. Generally it`s a thankless task. They really DO get to clean out the gardeloo at times....

Administrators are different with their various Godlike powers..... :lol: I`ve got nothing but respect (and Luddite awe) for folk who love their hobby so much that they are willing to devote huge portions of their lives to creating and maintaining this sort of site. And I`m truely impressed with this site....I`m still finding more and more stuff down in the darker corners. I think it`s definately going to be the benchmark site for Castle Lego, if it isn`t already. Inspirational!

And after that shameless bit of crawling, one question. Who pays for it? Lugnet takes donations, as does my other hobby site. Is there a button somewhere that I missed?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

And after that shameless bit of crawling, one question. Who pays for it? Lugnet takes donations, as does my other hobby site. Is there a button somewhere that I missed?
The site is sponsored and paid for by GOB Troy's Surplus LEGO. The link can be found at the bottom of the main cc page. Troy, one the CC admins and a large Bricklink seller, has done the community a great service by paying for the site. We are all grateful. But not too greatful, he doesnt need too much praise :wink: *waits to be demoted by Troy
:D

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

I just wanted to add in a vote against adding extra moderators. IMO the moderation on some other boards can get heavy at times, when people decide it's their job to move threads around too much or shut them down. It tends to generate more noise and ill will to do this than to have the occasional thread in the wrong forum (e.g. recent discussion over whether Ninja MOCs belonged in the castle forum). Much better to allow the influence of the more responsible posters to provide guidance when some get out of hand. I can conceive of times when heavier moderation would be needed, but as of yet this board has not had any major problems.
All that said, I completely understand if the admins want to offload some of their work. I don't want the job (though, of course, given Lady Val's comment above, perhaps this is just a subtle campaign to get the job ;) ).

Bruce