Castle Gate

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
J1A3L5
Steward

Castle Gate

Post by J1A3L5 »

Hi all,
After much waiting and many delays I've completed my Gate MOC:

I'm not sure what more to say, other than as always, constructive feedback, good or bad, is always appreciated and more than welcome.

Thanks for looking, and enjoy!
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

As I said in chat, very nice. :)

A very good job on the crenellations. A formidable gatehouse! :)
Rs_Conqueror
Peasant

Post by Rs_Conqueror »

Very impressive, Remind me never to attempt to invade your kingdom :)
~ RS
lack of parts = innovation
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Formidable job, keep up the good work.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Excellent! I would have liked to see a shot or two from the back, though. I like the brown wood on the ramparts and towers. I use black as wood in the same way as I do not have a lot of brown.

Are there any reddish brown bricks in your tree trunks?

Very, very nice. I like the "all classic grey" disclaimer :wink:
Troy T. Moore
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Rs_Conqueror wrote:Very impressive, Remind me never to attempt to invade your kingdom
If you were to try, you could avoid the gate all together and walk around the wall to the other side.

Anyway, your gatehouse is every bit as nice as your corner tower. I only wish I had half as many slopes as you do... my creations would look so much better.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/j1a3l ... gate19.jpg
I thought that the fig in this picture was Jojo!
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Yeah, why is jojo sitting there?

Anyway, it looks so good, I love how you've put the bricks so that they actually look like...well...bricks!':D:'

The only problem I can see is that it sitts on high ground so that it cpuld be a problem for horses and coaches to get in.

Very nice!

-Joel
I'm back, and so is Castle!
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Great job. I like the scale and the continuity. Lots of bucks in those slopes I'm sure. Landscaping really makes the difference, it places your MOC in the "world" in which it exists. The figs add a lot of life, you should be roud of this. I looked at some of your other things too. You get some odd responses on MOCpages don't you?
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Great looking wall and gate Jaily. I've always like that crenellation design. It kinda reminds me of the Black Gate. Probably because the shape of the crenellations look a bit like claws or teeth.

But as mighty as those defenses might be, my Kahilawayans and Altanteans will make short work of it. :twisted:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

As I have already said, very impressive. Lots of great building techniques, maybe I could "borrow" some as you have done such a great job.
Again, I would just like to ask. As it is in scale with your corner tower, can they join together? It would be good to see them as one larger MOC. Maybe even build a few more corner towers and large walls to make your own city.
Great work though.

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Thats a Jojo impersonator.

The real one would have the older, rounder style crest. Anyway back on topic.

I really like this moc a lot, great work. But this forum isn't just to say nice job.

Please don't hate me:

I think that the wall looks too dull and boring. You used a lot of 2 x 4 bricks and I can tell. I think maybe adding some arches or butresses could live up the wall a little. Maybe throw in some colors and texture to liven it up.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

kajo163 wrote:Yeah, why is jojo sitting there?

Anyway, it looks so good, I love how you've put the bricks so that they actually look like...well...bricks!':D:'

The only problem I can see is that it sitts on high ground so that it cpuld be a problem for horses and coaches to get in.

Very nice!

-Joel
Ow, Falcons, they're all the same...
(I mean the ones that haven't swapped heads yet)

And how are people going to put a ladder to that wall? Untakeable for lego figs if you're asking me :)
A really nice job :)
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

This is Great. You put alot of work into this and it shows. The gate is a bit simplistic - maybe if you made it a bit bigger and added some doors, but overall, this is a great MOC - not only because of its size, but the landscaping and the overall "finished" look to it. I also like the idea for using “wood” for the walkways.
Dragon Master wrote:I think that the wall looks too dull and boring. You used a lot of 2 x 4 bricks and I can tell. I think maybe adding some arches or buttresses could live up the wall a little. Maybe throw in some colors and texture to liven it up.
Well, it is a little stark, but that only adds to the beautiful simplicity about it - I really don't know how to say this, but its "simplistic elegance" makes it especially appealing to me. Besides, most Medieval walls weren’t really meant for aesthetic purposes anyway – most were a lot plainer than this one :)
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

lemon_squeezer2 wrote: Well, it is a little stark, but that only adds to the beautiful simplicity about it - I really don't know how to say this, but its "simplistic elegance" makes it especially appealing to me. Besides, most Medieval walls weren’t really meant for aesthetic purposes anyway – most were a lot plainer than this one :)
Not True at all!

In the early middle ages fortifications would have been built soley for millitary purposes.

But soon after the countries were settled lords and kings becane to make castles to show not only their military might, but also their weath and cultural richness.

http://12.223.136.182/crichton/index.htm

http://12.223.136.182/tattershall/index.htm

Just a few examples that popped into my head.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

You have a good point there DM.

However, the examples you pointed out were from individual keeps or castles. Now sometimes, outer curtain walls were decorated as well - the el Real de Manzanares in Spain stands to that. But when it came to long city walls like Jail's, decorations were few and far between.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!